Berkeley, CA patients ask, “Do Invisalign clear braces work?”
A straight, even smile is beautiful and healthy. Getting and maintaining the smile you deserve takes work. For many teens and adults, the thought of wearing traditional metal braces to straighten the teeth is unappealing. Thankfully, wearing clear dental braces gives patients an alternative orthodontic option. The team at Transcendentist in Berkeley, CA offers Invisalign clear braces to help patients achieve straight, beautiful smiles.
Does Invisalign work?
Invisalign clear braces are BPA-free plastic aligner trays. Each patient receives custom trays created from impressions of his/her teeth. This ensures the trays fit snugly, yet comfortably around the teeth without shifting. Since the trays are clear, they are not immediately visible to the general public. Using gentle pressure, the teeth are gradually shifted into proper alignment. Patients use a series of trays. Each set is worn for a couple of weeks before being replaced with a new set. Because Invisalign relies on gentle pressure, the pressure is placed differently in each set of trays to gradually move the teeth.
When clear dental braces are worn as directed by a dentist, they are an effective straightening option. However, patients are in charge of their own success. Invisalign trays are removable. They should be taken out only to eat, drink, and brush the teeth. For optimal success, aligner trays should be worn for about 20 hours per day. They should not be removed unnecessarily. Following the dentist’s instructions reduces the need for future orthodontic work.
Successful orthodontic treatment with clear dental braces
The goal of orthodontic treatment is to improve the smile’s function and appearance. While a beautiful smile is appealing, the focus of orthodontics is not simply to make the teeth pretty and straight. Properly aligned teeth are easier to maintain. When the teeth are crowded or misaligned, there are more hard-to-reach areas where bacteria can accumulate. Invisalign clear braces correct functional issues such as bite, crowding, and spacing issues.
Invisalign is an FDA approved treatment. It effectively treats mild to moderate orthodontic problems including the following:
- Crowded or crooked teeth – Crowding issues occur when the jaw is too small for the teeth to fit properly. The teeth are misaligned or press against each other. This makes the teeth difficult to clean and can cause wear on the teeth.
- Gaps or spacing issues – There can be gaps anywhere in the mouth, but they are commonly found between the front teeth. With spaces in the teeth, the gums are not adequately protected by the teeth. This can lead to gum disease.
- Overbite – When the teeth extend too far beyond the bottom, an overbite occurs. This may cause gum problems or excess wear on the teeth.
- Underbite – If the bottom teeth come out beyond the top, an underbite occurs. This problem does not allow the front teeth or molars to function correctly. Wear on the teeth or jaw issues are common.
- Open bite – An open bite is found when the teeth do not meet. Patients with an open bite may have speech and bite problems.
To learn more about Invisalign clear braces, contact Transcendentist in Berkeley, CA. Call (510) 800-7660.Back to Invisalign Clear Braces Page